Saturday, February 26, 2011

White Chip Island Cookies

Happy weekend!
Today I vowed to myself that I wouldn’t be eating any candy or really any delicious sweets after yesterday when I was snowed inside (literally) all day and ate bottomless amounts of candy. Welllllll I found that bottom, so today I’ve decided to sort of “detox” from all the sugar and really focus in on fruits and veggies again.
With that being said, I was faced with a challenge.
It’s tradition in our family that every Sunday afternoon we have a delicious (read: unhealthy) meal after church with the whole family. Every weekend I get the task to make some sort of delectable dessert. I’m not complaining. I’ve actually been offended before when mom has just made a dessert and not asked me to do it. It’s my favorite part of every meal and everyone in my family knows that baking is “my thing.”
And that’s where my challenge comes in. I just wasn’t in the mood today to be eating sweets and with baking, I’m constantly test tasting.
I. can’t. help. myself.
So what does one do to deter oneself from eating batches of cookies while making them, you ask?

Put on a Proactive facemask, obviouslyyyyyyy.

You do that too, right? It’s completely normal.

Anyway, every week I try to come up with a different dessert to keep everyone on their toes. And because I like all desserts. Duh.


These cookies taste like a tropical vacation….in cookie form. Something about coconut gets me every time.
And if you’re anywhere even remotely cold right now, you probably could use a vacay….and should probably make these….stat!


White Chip Island Cookies (adopted from Nestle)
¾ c (1 ½ sticks butter) softened
¾ c packed brown sugar
1/3 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 c (12 oz pkg) White morsels
1 c flaked coconut
1 c macadamia nuts, walnuts, or pecans

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in egg.

Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into butter mixture. Stir in morsels, coconut and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto lightly greased baking sheets.

Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are golden and lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to foil or wire racks.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment